Thursday, September 6, 2007

White Castle 1

I can't decide whether or not I like this book. It's intriguing, perplexing, challenging etc...a puzzle to solve. But I don't know if I would have continued reading the book if I had not had to for this class. It is confusing to the point that the plot is compromised.

However, the end...the puzzle is left unsolved and the resolution, or lack of resolution, is weirdly satisfying. It leaves you with questions. A wide range of really deep and intense questions...depending upon how you interpret the story and it's plot and characters.

And, in order to really connect with a story, you have to connect with the characters. There are no precise, unique, definite characters in this novel. As the story progresses, the characters get increasingly more vague and blurry. What traits had made them distinguishable are lost as the you get closer to the end.

No comments: