Monday, September 24, 2007

Obviously, Plato has never been snorkeling...

As I was looking back through Phaedo for some quotes for my essay...I read this:

"Nothing worth mentioning grows in the sea, nothing, one might say, is fully developed; there are caves and sand and endless slime and mud wherever there is earth - nothing comparable in any way with the beauties of our region."

Finally. Socrates has gotten something wrong. He is not all-knowing. Which makes me feel a little better. It's a thrilling moment. He has it completely wrong, if you ask me.

The ocean ecosystems are some of the most detailed and developed ones that you can find. Poor Socrates must never have experienced the joys of snorkeling or deep-sea diving. You would think that, logically, Socrates wouldn't knock something he's never tried or researched extensively...I guess not.

No comments: