Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Socrates - What is he trying to say?

As I go back through the dialogue trying to make sense of what Socrates is trying to get across to the men of Athens...I am sort of getting around to it...Sort of.

I think that Socrates is trying to show his humility, but it seems to come across as rather abrupt and sarcastic.

"I am wiser than this man; it is likely that neither of us knows anything worthwhile, but he thinks he knows something when he does not, whereas when I do not know, neither do I think I know; so I am likely to be wiser than he to this small extent, that I do not think I know what I do not know." pg 25 between letter d and e

I think that Socrates is trying to humble himself and attempt to get the court to understand that he does not pretend to know something that he really doesn't know. Unfortunately for Socrates, he sounds a little pompous and self-congratulatory when he says this. He sets himself above the men who pretend to know things that they are really ignorant about - saying that he is wiser than them...but not by much - "to this small extent".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree, I think Socrates is attepmting to save himself. Only its a little too late