Monday, September 10, 2007

The Trial and Death of Socrates - 1

The first chapter of Plato was extremely confusing.

It seemed to me like Euthyphro and Socrates were constantly going around and around in circles. Poor Euthyphro. He seemed like he was really backed into a corner. I feel like Socrates was taunting him; making him feel like he really didn't have any answers; slowly chipping away at poor Euthyphro's self-confidence right before his big trial.

One of the quotes that I have chosen to blog about is this:
"Is the pious being loved by the gods because it is pious, or is it pious because it s being loved by the gods?" - Socrates, page 11

From page 11 to page 13...boggles my mind. I can understand how Euthyphro would just agree and accept what Socrates says...Socrates is extremely convoluted and confusing. I don't like Socrates very much. He seems too sure of himself; too confident that he has the correct answer.

Although, I agree that inquiry is the key to learning - that questions help you understand and comprehend. I feel like maybe Socrates already has his answer in mind...that he is trying to draw the same answer out of Euthyphro by asking leading questions. Perhaps the confusing questions are meant to be so...so that Socrates can assert his superior knowledge and demean Euthyphro.

No comments: