Thursday, September 27, 2007

Tao Te Ching - pg 8

I really enjoy this book of poetry. It's simple but very powerful.

The first poem that caught my eye was on page 8 - the list of rules and suggestions that can help you become close to the Tao

"Live in a good place. Keep your mind deep. Treat others well. Stand by your word. Make fair rules. Do the right thing. Work when it's time."

This seems to me like a really good guide to live your life by. All the noble qualities and characteristics are represented.

However, the next two lines of the poem are a little tricky. "Only do not contend, And you will not go wrong."

I wrote down next to it...'don't ask questions and you'll never be wrong or mistaken.' I'm not quite sure how I feel about that. Questions are a learning experience. Being wrong allows you to understand the qualities given above and strive towards them.

No comments: