Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Sarcasm

I definitely think that there is at least a slight element of social commentary in this novel. I can't not view the sarcasm as not sarcasm. Someone mentioned in class a few days ago that there was a lot of sarcasm and ever since then...I see sarcasm everywhere. I find myself laughing over the descriptions of some of the values of the characters and the characters themselves. I find them ridiculous to begin with, but the sarcasm seems to define them and make the ridiculous more concrete.

Is it possible that Edith Wharton is like Selden - even though she is a part of society - she recognized her society's draw-backs and flaws?

I don't have a specific quote for this blog - the sarcasm is kind of throughout. Once you're looking for it - it's hard to miss.

No comments: