Sunday, November 11, 2007

Marx

The most prevalent theme that I've been getting out of these readings is Marx's attachment to economics. I'm taking Principles of Micro and it definitely helps. I can understand what Marx is saying - I get the principles he's discussing.

I have also seen a lot of discussion on family values and the family unit. "The bourgeoisie has torn away from the family its sentimental veil, and has reduced the family relation to a mere money relation." I can definitely see how he would infer this from the industrial system. I never really thought of any other disadvantages to industrialization besides the obvious environmental percussions. The idea that industrialization destroyed the family unit is definitely plausible. I'd just never thought of it that way.

1 comment:

Terry D said...

Yes, I was shocked by the part where he says that women and children are slaves in the family! And then I thought about how people running farms used to have to have lots of children to work the farm. I never thought of it before, but they weren't being paid for that labor, or at least not paid beyond room and board. And then I guess that really makes those relationships seem quite "economic."