Sunday, November 18, 2007

House of Mirth - Miss Bart

Miss Bart...hmmm. I can't decide if I like her yet. She's a little judgmental - "It isn't a bit hotter in here than in Mrs. VanOsburgh's conservatory - and some of the women are not a bit uglier" (4), "Oh, I know - you mean Gerty Farish. But I said marriageable."

She is definitely a "victim of civilization", some of the things she says are almost unbelievable - "If I could only do over my aunt's drawing-room, I know I should be a better woman."

She seems rather insensitive and unaware of the feelings and connections of others - when she makes fun of Gerty Farish and when she laughs at Mr. Selden for trying to "make love to her".

Maybe it's just the time period. Maybe everyone of her status was like this and accepted it as normal. But to me, I don't think I'd want to hang around her. She sounds rather mean-spirited in a naive sort of way.

No comments: