Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Aunt Jennifer's Tigers

I wish that there was some sort of all-knowing, all-explaining key to these poems.

I don't really like interpreting them by myself. What if I'm interpreting them wrong? What if I'm ruining what Adrienne Rich was originally trying to say? I'm afraid that she's going to happen upon my blog and just break down because I've twisted her words so horribly. That probably won't happen, but there's always the possibility. . . .

I wish that I knew what these poems meant. Although, I suppose that the point of writing poems is for readers interpret them. But we all come from different backgrounds and have had different experiences. How can one of us be "right"? What is the right way to interpret these poems?...only Adrienne Rich knows the right way.

I wonder what she meant. That's what poems are meant to do. Make you wonder. But I don't want to wonder forever. I want there to be an ending.

No comments: