Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Selden

In response to one of Isa's blogs, I was thinking the same thing. When Abby pointed out in class that Selden is the first character we meet....everything changed. I'd completely forgotten about the beginning scene. His NAME is first. "Selden paused in surprise" (1). That's a significant role. We only see Lily because of Selden. As the novel goes on, we get wrapped up in Lily's life of drama, but Selden's role diminishes to a minor role until the ending scenes. However, I realized that Selden was kind of in the back of my head throughout the whole story. Every time something scandalous happened to Lily, I wondered what Selden would think of the situation.

And I think that I've always thought of him as a potential savior for Lily. I wanted him to save her the whole time. And he kind of let me down in the end.

No comments: